Wednesday, June 22, 2016

I like cars – faster the better.  That fact is abundantly clear to most people that know me.  Fast cars, quick cars, good handling cars, loud cars, pretty cars, I am a fan.  I have come to accept that as much fun as they can be for me, not everyone enjoys them.  Also, not everyone believes in enjoying them responsibly.  I am a huge advocate in training and finding safe environments to explore the limits.  That is not to say I have never acted irresponsibly with a vehicle somewhere that I should not have.  And I know of some very tragic instances where irresponsible behavior of others has resulted in great harm or even death.  However, at the end of the day it is my belief that cars and the enjoyment of them is a worthwhile hobby for me and others.

I do not like guns.  On a few occasions I have fired them, whether it be hunting or just target practice.  It is just not my thing.  Several family members and quite a few friends of the social media variety do seem to enjoy them.  I do not have a problem with this.  Golf is also something I do not like, I am not here to judge anyone else’s hobbies.  Lately due to all of the coverage regarding prolific gun violence, not only in my area but nationwide, there has been a lot of commenting about gun rights and laws.  Notice I did not say discussion.  My frustration is that when it comes to guns there doesn’t seem to be much discussion – just statements, declarations, and of course Clint Eastwood meme’s.  It is like the opposing sides just dig in and refuse to work towards a solution.  All guns are evil and should be banned, or it’s my God given Constitutional right and pry them from my cold dead hands. 

My exact landing point on that continuum is probably closer to the evil banning side if I am honest, but then I consider my hobby.  A case could certainly be made that a car that can exceed any posted speed limit several times over, or accelerate to illegal speeds in a few mere seconds is dangerous, unnecessary, and evil.  Sometimes they are enjoyed responsibly though, in fact the majority of the time they are.  The ownership and operation of the vehicles is legally registered and qualification licensed.  Penalties exist for misuse or recklessness.  Clubs and venues operate to provide safe and responsible usage.  Training at many different levels is available and encouraged for maximum utilization.  Some may even say that transportation is a basic need and right of humanity.


Clearly we have the ability and skill to figure out complex problems and at least attempt to regulate responsible behavior without completely depriving people of their rights and needs.  Am I over simplifying it?  Am I making an unfair comparison between a vehicle and a firearm?  Maybe.  Probably.  My point is we should at least try to solve this.  This is all of our issue, it is all of our concern, and it is all of our responsibility.  We owe it to one another to have the hard conversations; and discuss the balance of personal freedom and rights against safeguards that can prevent some of the violence.  We cannot ever stop all gun violence, because we cannot stop all violence.  Cain used a rock as one wise meme once informed me.  But surely there is some middle ground between Obama is going to take away all our guns, and let the criminals run wild since they clearly don’t respect the laws we already have, let alone any new ones.

No comments: