Friday, July 10, 2015

Economy Parking review of a Miata

I am introducing a new segment to The Apex that I am calling Economy Parking review. Basically my clever way of saying the view from the cheap seats. Economy Parking review will be my reviews of cars I drive and sometimes even own. Kicking it off will be my fairly new to me 2005 Mazda Miata. Now I have read that the answer to any question is Miata, and that may be true as long as no one asks how to best depict masculinity and virility. But that being said, there are many things I like about this car. It is my 4th Miata after all. Coming from a vehicle with throttle by wire and electric power assisted steering, there is something very analog and wonderfully connected about the Miata. Feedback through the steering wheel is lively, and speaking of the steering wheel, the factory unit is the perfect size and texture to make turning a delight – then add to that the enthusiastic response from the suspension. Although with nearly 95,000 miles traveled, the suspension has probably degenerated from compliant to slightly flaccid. However, the car is still like a playful puppy, bounding from corner to corner, leaning way over, then taking a set and changing direction with ease. I look forward to getting Miata number 4 out to an autocross course at some point to really give it what for. Its current set up of all-season tires has discouraged me from trying it out yet, since when pushed hard they squeal louder than a witch whistler fire cracker on a hot summer night. One of my favorite things about the car is the Roadster Sport 3 exhaust from Goodwin Racing. It has a sonorous wail under heavy throttle when warm without sounding flatulent or boomy. The auditory horsepower gain is at least 300hp, even if the actual performance gain is minimal. Overall it has been a delightful addition to the rotating used car lot I maintain. Certainly it is not without its issues. I choose to consider the random blinking warning lights less as an indication of trouble, and more an electronic patina. Hell, I am a check engine light away from being the next Icon motors Derelict model – electrically speaking. If you don’t know what that means may I suggest the Google. Another less successful aftermarket mod is the stainless steel-esque shift knob which becomes a branding iron in the summer and a triple dog dare adventure in the winter. But it looks sporty so I keep it. The stereo which is a Pioneer unit and on its second vehicle, plays music rave light style by alternating the speaker output at random which is exciting – guess where and how loud the music will be is sure to be the next hot road trip car game! The clutch stutters when hot, and not in the charming Mel Tillis Cannonball Run way. It also makes shifts more like a dead fish hand shake then a confident fist bump, but hey it’s not a race car, yet. So, that’s my Economy Parking review of a well worn Miata.

No comments: